Ps Jason Schroder 16th Feb 2014 (Romans 12:1-2)Jason Schroeder, February 16, 2014
Part of the Visitor Speaker series, preached at a Sunday Morning service
Victory - how to win in life
Story. About one game of basketball.
Romans 12:1,2. Urge you - strong language. Beg you, exhort you, implore you. Wrap your head around it! God's mercy is the starting point of all things. God's love that reaches out to us. Logical = when we really understand God's mercy and love, our logical response is to offer ourselves to him.
verse 2. Do not be shaped by the pattern of this world. Metamorphosis in our mind. Then we will be able to test and approve.
Victory = winning in life is daily discovering his good, perfect and pleasing will for our lives. Last for all our years into eternity. This is the life we're called to step into.
C3L mandate - Reach out. Restore. Raise up. God has a picture for us that doesn't leave us where we are now but take us into a deeper picture with him.
What does Gods will look like? What doesn't it look like?
- Not by following our feelings, or path of least resistance. Doesn't take us to his good pleasing perfect will. Jesus in the garden - I am overwhelmed with sorrow, yet not my will, but your's.
- Not by playing the church game. Prov 28:13,14. Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper... If there's sin that has come between us and God, need to give it to Him.
Then you will be able to test and approve God's will.
Offer body as living sacrifice. Not just parts of the body, the whole body. Our whole self. Not just the comfy or convenient bits. All of it. It's a journey.
Do not conform to pattern on this world, your behaviour shaped by what you see in the marketplace, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Be aligned with the worldview of heaven. Critical to think about our thinking. 50000 thoughts in a day. How we perceive ourselves and others. It's not reality that shapes us, but our way of thinking about reality that shapes us. We set this up by what flows through our mind. Continually make our mind God's turf. 90% of your long-term happiness is in how your brain processes happiness. If we haven't given our thought-life to God, then we could struggle with burdens we don't need to carry.
How to have a renewed mind:
1. His Plan is perfect, my performance does not have to be. My performance can't be. This can mess us up in our thinking. Our relationship with God is not based on our performance. Jesus was perfect for us. If we fall, we can get back up and give it another shot.
2. Good things and me go together. Eph 2:10. We are God's handiwork - custom-made masterpiece. "I am God's masterpiece, God's handiwork". I am a custom-made work of art. If God had an art gallery, you would be hanging up on the wall! Good things prepared in advance for us to do.
3. We have moments of clear direction, months of walking in the right direction. Often we want a daily download with specific instructions. Trust God, use our initiative until we hear the next clear direction.
4. Victory has less to do with my ability and more to do with my intentionality. Mark 1, calling Simon Peter. Jesus sees them calls them to fish for people. James and John. Doesn't pick the public speakers of the day, finds the tradies and teaches them to be intentional. Acts 4 called before the Sanhedrin - these were unschooled, ordinary men, astonished and took note who they had been with - Jesus.
5. Foundation. House foundation =100mm, skyscraper = 30m reinforced concrete. Go deep with God. Spend time in his presence. Creates a foundation of time with God to build apon. If we don't have that in place, then we do good things and then crumble. Dig deep in our walk with God.
6. Have an expectation of kingdom power flowing through us. Your kingdom come = your rule and your reign. The sphere of His influence. Pray sphere of influence of heaven being with us. We are not influenced by that place but we influence it.
|« Ps Nigel Surman 9th Feb 2014.||None||Ps Clinton Phillips 23rd Feb 2014 »|
1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (KJV)