Part of the Visitor Speaker series, preached at a Sunday Morning service
1. Marriage is an institution that comes from God
- God wrote the instruction manual!
- Fundamental to society
- Designed to live in community
- Together we are stronger
2. Marriage relationship mirrors God's relationship with us
- Marriage a reflection of how Christ loves the church
- Eph 5:25-33
- Husbands love your wives.
- Wives respect your husbands
- We are loved unconditionally - How would it change your life to really know that?
3. How are we treating that relationship?
- Relationships are a growing thing
- It takes effort, real work, to make marriage work
- Men and women are not the same, equal but different.
- Love is a choice, not a feeling
- If we treated our relationship with our wives like we treat our relationship to God, how long would that last?
- Likewise, God wants to build relationship with us
|« Ps Don Phillips 8th November 2015||None||Ps Clinton Phillips 6th December 2015 »|
18And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. 19And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof. 20And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. 21And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; 22And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man. (KJV)
25Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. 28So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. 29For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: 30For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 31For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. 32This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband. (KJV)