Ps Sheldon Phillips 3rd January 2016 ()Sheldon Phillips, January 3, 2016
Part of the Then, Now, Next series, preached at a Sunday Morning service
Then, Now, Next - week 2
God wants to propel us into all that He has for us. He wants to launch us into 2016. Now is the time of salvation.
Story. I wished God impacted me like He used to. God wants to do now what He did in the past. Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.
John 9:1-7 ... this happened so that the glory of God will be displayed ... A picture of what it means to be in a "now" moment in life - have an enounter with Jesus. It takes faith for that man born blind to go with mud on his eyes to the pool of Siloam. Maybe God has spoken words of life, of purpose, of joy, but you have to put some feet on the ground to get there. There's a process in the middle called "now" - walking and balancing where I believe God has called me to be, and currently where we are.
Phil 3:12-14 "but I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for"
vs 12 - not that I have already obtained all of this - talking about in Paul's life he had this past, some good, some bad. In the previous verses - All the things in the past are rubbish in comparison to knowing Christ. Then he says don't be mistaken - I have not been made perfect. We can be encouraged with Paul's journey - there is hope for us. Life in God is a journey and a process. Salvation isn't just a moment, it's a journey and a process. Working out your salvation. Paul says I know I am not perfect, but I press on. It's time to press on. It's time for action - press on - an image of athletic or military action, like an army pursuing another army. Have a determination to pursue all that God has for us. How does an athlete reach for the finish line? He propels himself toward the finish line! If you're discouraged in 2015, then you can strain forward in 2016, but it all begins in the now.
Phil 2:12-14 "work out your salvation in fear and trembling, for God works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose". Sanctification - a process where we become more like Jesus. An active partnership in our life with God. to see his purposes achieved in our lives. Like PT, training plan - if you don't work it out, then nothing happens!
vs 13 - God works in us! We're not working in our own strength - when we move, the power of God is working in us.
The bible's workout guide: what's our aim? To become more like Christ.
- Trust God. James 4:7,8. It's an action - whatever you're going through, first place to start is "God I trust in You. I submit to You". Yield to God.
- BIble reading and meditation. Psalm 1:2, Matt 4:4, John 17:17. Foundational. How do we hear the voice of God if we're not opening His word? Read, meditate it, get it into our spirit.
- Prayer. Eph 6:18. Phil 4:6. Communion with God. Allows a connection with God. When we pray, we're tuning our ear to hear what God is saying to us.
- Worship. Eph 3:18-20. Let the words of my mouth, the meditations of my heart be pleasing to you.
- Fellowship. Heb 10:24,25. Getting around other believers. Spur one another on in love.
- Witness. Allow the good stuff that God has given us to shine out and share with others as we step out in faith.
"Now" is a time for preparation. 1 Sam 17:34--37. Before we get to the end goal you need to go back - David faced the lion and the bear before he faced Goliath. God is preparing you in your current circumstance in order to propel you into your future. James 1:2-4. Consider it pure joy when you face trials of many kinds. The thing that you're struggling with now - don't give up, just because it's tough at the moment. Now is not the time to throw in the towel. Don't give up - God has a plan for you.
|« Ps Sheldon Phillips 27th December 2015||None||Ps Sheldon Phillips 10th January 2016 »|