Skye Burcham 13th Jan 2019 ()Skye Burcham, January 13, 2019
Part of the Summer Series series, preached at a Sunday Morning service
New Year’s resolutions, new year new you. Recap the message from last week - It’s the same God. Are you expecting more from God this year?
Isa 43:16-19. I am the Lord who made a way through the waters...I am about to do something new! A pathway through the wilderness.
What are we waiting for this year? What is 2019 going to look like for you? How do we receive something new from God?
How do we get in a position to hear from God? Change our mindset? What comes to mind when you think about holidays? A range of answers. Holidays before and after children. Stuck in the old way of thinking.
Romans 12:2. Don’t copy the behaviour and customs of this world. Change the way you think. Holidays changed after children. Holidays is now about spending time as family, enjoying each other’s company. Change the way we look at things. When we get caught up in the old mindset, we can’t change the way we think. So how do we do it? Position ourself to hear from God. How do we do this?
1. Give ourselves a clean slate. Sometimes we can’t hear from God because our minds are full of other things: unforgiveness, guilt. What’s clogging up our minds? Matt 6:14,15. Forgive others.
2. May need to let go of your dream. Sometimes our dreams are not His dreams for us - His dreams are far better than we expected. Not saying go out and quit uni, but making sure that what you’re striving for is for God. Sometimes we hold onto things because of our will, or expectations. Psalm 127:1, Prov 16:9 We make our plans, but God determines our steps. Be in alignment with God.
3. Changing your self talk. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. Always doubting ourselves. Changing our self talk. Psalm 31:14. God’s workmanship is marvellous. We are talking about our creator’s work.
4. Changing your language. Power of the tongue. Prov 18:21 tongue can bring death or life. Can do damage, but can also do a lot of good.
5. Surround yourself with the right people. Prov 13:20. Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get into trouble - hang out with people who will encourage your dreams, who are praying for your dreams, what you are doing, build you up.
God transforms your way of thinking. We all need to create new habits. Quote: “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”. We need to be reading our bible, prayer and worship. Where in 2019 do we need to amp that up, mix that up? Eg bible reading plan, study a book of the bible.
Luke 8:13-15. Seeds on the rocky soil, seeds among the thorns, seeds on the good soil.
Prayer - private and corporate prayer. God wants a relationship with us; to say “I love you, I want to get to know you more”.
James 5:16. Earnest prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective.
Worship: Rom 12:1
|« Ps Sheldon Phillips 6th January 2019||None||Ps Clinton Phillips 20th January 2019 »|